@ your library Design a Tote Bag Contest CONTEST GUIDELINES
@ your library is seeking an original, creative design for its first ever Design a Tote Bag contest. The winning design will illustrate the fundamental spirit and importance of American libraries.
The Grand Prize Winner will receive $500 and a People’s Choice Award Winner will receive $100! Limited edition @ your library tote bags (for you to bring to the library!) will be printed with the Grand Prize Winner’s design.
Here are some guidelines to get you started on your design:
- The design must incorporate “atyourlibrary.org” somewhere so that it’s easily readable.
- You should use a program such as Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop to construct your design.
- Make sure your submission is created at 300dpi (dots per inch) and ready to be printed at 18” x 24” (45.72 cm x 60.96 cm). If you are scanning in a non-digital design (e.g.: drawing, painting, etc.) make sure it is scanned at no less than 100 dpi.
- Acceptable file formats include: JPG, PNG, and PDF.
If you need help getting started on your design, here are some things to think about:
- What do you, personally, use the library for the most? What is the one element of your library that means the most to you?
- What is the importance of libraries to you?
- How do the various resources provided at your library—books, music, movies, downloadable media, free Wi-Fi, performances, workshops, knowledge, etc.—benefit or affect your lifestyle?
- What do you think the future of libraries will look like?
These are suggestions and can be interpreted a number of ways. The only requirement is that the actual design includes “atyourlibrary.org”. The design can even be a written saying or motto, presented in a way you feel gets the message across. This contest is about you expressing your own creativity as much as it is about showing your love for libraries. We can’t wait to see what you have in mind.
- Express yourself by putting together an original and creative design that’s inspired by the library and incorporates “atyourlibrary.org”.
- Submit your design to us at firstname.lastname@example.org before October 16, 2009. (See below for Submission Criteria.)
- Become a member of the @ your library Design a Tote Bag Flickr Group.
- To monitor the progress of the Design Competition, check out our blog.
For contest details including eligibility, terms and conditions, please read the Official Rules
Still have questions? Read our Contest FAQs.
- The People’s Choice Award will be open for voting on September 14, 2009 on our contest Flickr page. Voting is worldwide, open to everyone, and ends October 21, 2009. To vote, just join our Flickr group, and use the “favorite” function to vote for your favorite design!
- The submission period for ALL designs ends at 11:59 p.m. on October 16, 2009. An internal team for @ your library, the public campaign of the American Library Association, will conduct the judging to select the Grand Prize Winner.
- The Grand Prize Winner and People’s Choice Award Winner will be announced November 4, 2009.
You can submit more than one unique design, no more than two, but only one submission can qualify to the second round.
What to include in your email:
- Low resolution JPEG, PNG, or PDF of your design no greater than 8MB (Be sure to keep your high resolution version of the design somewhere in case your design is picked!)
- Name of your design
- Full Name
- Mailing Address
- Phone Number
- Flickr Username (You’ll need this to vote for the People’s Choice Award. Don’t have one? It’s free to sign up.)
- Date of Birth
- How you heard about the contest
Submissions must include all the requested information. Entries missing information will be deemed incomplete and ineligible until all requested information is submitted. Make sure your contact information submitted along with your entry is active and valid as this is the only means of contacting the finalists. Don’t forget, the submission deadline is 11:59 PM Central Standard Time (CST) on Friday, October 16, 2009.
If you have any further questions, comments or concerns about this contest, please contact us: